The purpose of the HCV program is to provide rental assistance to eligible families. The rules and regulations of the HCV program are determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The PHA is afforded choices in the operation of the program which are included in the PHA’s administrative plan, a document approved by the board of commissioners of the PHA.
The HCV program offers mobility to eligible families because they may search for suitable housing anywhere in the PHA’s jurisdiction and may also be eligible to move under portability to other PHAs’ jurisdictions.
When a family is determined to be eligible for the program and funding is available, the PHA issues the family a housing voucher. When the family finds a suitable housing unit and funding is available, the PHA will enter into a contract with the owner and the family will enter into a lease with the owner. Each party makes their respective payment to the owner so that the owner receives full rent.
Even though the family is determined to be eligible for the program, the owner has the responsibility of approving the family as a suitable renter. The PHA continues to make payments to the owner as long as the family is eligible and the housing unit continues to qualify under the program.
Applications may be picked up Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm. *We no longer mail out applications.
This application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted by our office.
Once selected and on the program, participants have responsibilities to assure continued assistance. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pay full rental deposit
- Pay their portion of the rent on time
- Keep their unit clean and sanitary
- Report changes in income or family composition to the Housing Authority
- Comply with all lease provisions and program requirements
- Report problems with the unit to their landlord immediately
- Pay utility bills that are not included in the lease,
- Cooperate with the Housing Authority on inspections and recertification appointments.
- Do not allow anyone to stay/live in the unit without receiving BOTH landlord and Housing Authority written permission.